Handibear Hills Horse Sanctuary Inc. is a 100 acre farm in South Granville PEI. The Sanctuary is featured in “Prince Edward Island’s book of Musts” as “One of the places you Must See on the Island”.
A bit of Sanctuary History and our ties to the Standardbred Industry.
- Our 1st Standardbred adoptee was an unnamed “Mayhew Runabout” she foaled and gave us J. D. Liberty. Then came Anthony Breeze.
- The 1st Standardbred we trained to saddle was Chocolate Supreme.
- Krista Cole donated her two pets H.B. Dandy and H. B. Street Dancer.
- Stavert Heustis donated “Jeannie S” a 3 year old that did not like to train. The story was she would go out to the track and just dawdle. After a glorious riding career at the age of 15 she was bred every 2nd year and gave the Trailblazers Horse Club foals to train. The youth have raised 3 orphan foals that went on to race and trained 27 Standardbreds to saddle in the last 35 years.
- We still have Brilliant Art ( 18 yrs old), Northwinds Bunny (17 yrs old), Obie, (20 yrs old) Fiddler Fred, aka Dawson (21 yrs old) We tell him to be good because Mark MacDonald is his brother. and Honey, the Drop off Mare (18 yrs old) who is off site as a companion.